|MENU SELECTION:||The Italian Campaign||At The Front||Books||Armies||Maps||85th Division||GI Biographies||Websites|
HISTORY OF THE
THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-EIGHT FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT
WORLD WAR I
"Doings of Battery B; 328th FA, A.E.F."
by Edward Barry, published 1920.
A personal account of Battery B during their serivce in Europe. Contains many personal accounts including a story about each soldier of the battery. Many great sketches that have names printed to identify the caricature.
"Red Guidon; 328 FA"
published in 1920
128 pages with photos of Officers and 2-page fold-out photos of each Battery. Roster of every member with rank and home town. Includes a chronology of events that occurred during their training and overseas service. Most sketches are buildings in France but includes a few sketches of soldier's life; drill, delousing, washing clothes, A few pages have a group of photos from training and from France that are arranged as a scrap book; but the images are very small.
FIELD ARTILLERY BATTALION
RE-ACTIVATION AND ORGANIZATION FOR WWII
This brief history of 328th FA Battalion is from the official files of the 328th FA that was included in the collection of documents obtained from National Archives. It describes the formation and training at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
Camp Shelby, Mississippi
Upon reorganization and reactivation of the 85th Infantry Division as a Triangular Division, the 328th Field Artillery became a Battalion. In World War 1, the 328th Field Artillery was a Regiment (75 MM) and part of the 160th Field Artillery Brigade. The 328th Field Artillery Regiment in World War I saw action with the l67th Field Artillery Brigade, which was a part of the 92nd Division.
Reactivation of the 85th
Division with the 328th Field Artillery Battalion as one of the three
(105 MM How) battalions of the Division Artillery, was accomplished
on May 15, 1942. The officer cadre consisted of Lt. Col. Rex E.
Battalion Commander, Major William A. Harris, Executive Officer, and
following officers as Battery Commanders:
1st Lieutenant Charles L. Badger, Headquarters Battery
Captain James S. McAnulty, "A" Battery
Captain Wilson Sifford, "B" Battery
1st Lieutenant George P. Biggs, "C" Battery
Captain Henry F. Bacon, Service Battery
An addition complement of officers for the Division Artillery reached Camp Shelby on April 25, 1942. The next day, April 26, 1942, the 328th Field Artillery Battalion received 20 of these officers who were immediately assigned to the various duties of a Field Artillery Battalion. Training for the enlisted Cadre had begun on April 15, 1942 and Officers Classes started on April 27, 1942. Intensive training both day and night was conducted for both Officers and Enlisted Men to prepare them for the task of shaping the raw recruits into Artillerymen. May 15, 1942 was the official date of the activation of the 85th Infantry Division and the 328th Field Artillery Battalion. The same date, saw the arrival of the first recruits. The new soldiers were assigned in irregular sized groups to the 328th Field Artillery Battalion from that date (May 15, 1942) to June 1, 1942.
The training program began June 8, 1942. As planned, it covered a 17 week period from June 9, 1942 to October 3, 1942. The period of six weeks from June 8 to July 18 was devoted to Section Training, the seven week period from July 20 to September 5 to Battery Training and the four week period from September 7 to October 3 to Review and Tests. Use of the Group Training plan to begin instruction in basic training during the organization period May 15 to June 1 put the Battalion approximately two weeks ahead of the regular training schedule. Subjects taught were those prescribed by the Unit Training Program Field Artillery (UTPFA) and the 85th Division memoranda with necessary modifications as the training progressed.
Additional officers, graduates of the Field Artillery Officer Candidate School arrived in June and July to make the Battalion over-strength in preparation for a cadre. The Battalion Executive Officer, Major Harris, left the Battalion on August 4, 1942 and on August 8, 1942, Lt. Col. Chandler departed upon orders from the War Department. Major Emmette Y. Burton, Jr., transferred from the 910th Field Artillery Battalion, assumed command of the 328th on August 8, 1942.
In October, the 328th Field Artillery Battalion was called upon to furnish a cadre of Officers and Enlisted Men. Previous to this cadre, several of the officers had showed their abilities and had received promotions. Likewise promotions came to the Enlisted Men for their showing of ability and hard work. In addition to the Cadre losses of Enlisted Men, there were many other losses, such as transfers, discharges, and Officer Candidate schoo1s. Those losses were in such a number that replacements of raw recruits in October and November were made. A separate training program for these men was started in order not to interfere with the more advanced program of the rest of the battalion.
At the end of the 17 week training period in October, the Battalion was then ready to begin in its more advanced phase of training. A Physical Toughening program which, started at the beginning of the training, was becoming more intense as the Battalion progressed. During October, November, and December, the battalion was in its third phase of training. Preparation for and the actual participation in of AGF tests constituted the main effort of the officers and men during the last three months of 1942. Results of the tests showed a high degree of proficiency in training, which in turn reflected the hard work of the commanders concerned, the officers, and enlisted men.
Strength as of Midnight, December 31, 1942 showed the 328th Field Artillery Battalion with 36 Officers, 1 Warrant Officer, and 582 Enlisted Men.
Approved Emmette Y. Burton, Jr. (Handwritten)
Lt. Col., 328th F.A. Bn
See complete history of Camp Shelby, go to Camp Shelby .
Return to Top Menu of WW1 History of 328th FA (THIS PAGE).
For other documents from 328th FA, go to Operational Report of 328th FA.
Warfare Center where divisions were sent for desert combat training
in Southern California.